Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Organizing Mail

I don't know about you but I love it when my counters are completely clean and there is no clutter on them.  Unfortunately this doesn't happen as often as I would like.  Mail is something that seems to always end up on the counter and lives there for a few days.  After looking around the blog world for inspiration I thought that a filing system would work best for our family. 

I already had this photo caddy from Pottery Barn that I wasn't using.   

Bought a pack of cute file folders from Target.
 
Came up with a list of what files I needed: In Mail, To Do, To File, To Pay, one for myself, one for my husband, and one to hold my coupons until I put them in my coupon file/ binder. 

Used my new Mini Cricut that I am loving to make the labels and glued them on with mod podge (first experience w/mod podge).

I knew the fabric that was in the 3 picture spots wasn't going to work but I wasn't sure what I should do.  I thought about putting some black and white pictures of the family in them. Or using the extra blue folder I have and cutting squares out of it (but wasn't sure if I wanted to keep the folder in case I needed to make another file).  I decided to play around with the Cricut some more and made a monogram with my husband and my initials. 

Since we have been using this new system for our mail the amount of clutter on the counters has gone down a lot.  Everything has a home now and I can quickly put things away in the correct folder until I have more time to complete the full task.

However, I am not 100% happy with how the monogram turned out.  I think I will maybe try to put some family pictures in it.  What do you think?  Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Well done - You're going to LOVE having a specific place for all those papers that are guaranteed to come in day in and day out.

    I think photos would be a really cute/fun addition esp. in black and white prints. :)

    Cheers!
    ~H

    ReplyDelete